The Book Spy

The Book Spy
Me and My Collection

Thursday 13 October 2016

Nobel Prize Announcement 2016


Bob Dylan has won the Nobel Prize for Literature 2016:

'for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition'

Oh boy.

At least one reviewer, namely me, will have to eat their words (a strange taste, if you ask me), having previously dismissed Dylan as an impossibility, but then, this is 2016 where, apparently, the laws of the earth need not apply.

I'm not the best person to comment on Dylan's songwriting abilities.  I've only listened to one of his albums, the one that has 'Tombstone Blues' on it and it was alright.  I've no complaints or real problems with the choice but, it has opened up a small floodgate.

What is literature?  Is now a good question.

What is it now to the committee?  Will Pink Floyd now have a chance of getting it?

What the committee have done is put the cat amongst the pigeons as there was not a critic alive that would have seriously expected this.

But in the sense of goodwill I congratulate Bob Dylan for his achievement, and will have to do something for the first time for this blog.  Buy some vinyl.

No comments:

Post a Comment