The Book Spy

The Book Spy
Me and My Collection

Saturday 13 July 2013

The Magic Mountain by Thomas Mann: Part One

 
Oh boy.  After reading Herman Hesse’s ‘The Glass Bead Game’ I thought that some more ideas minded German literature would do me some good and so I picked up Thomas Mann’s ‘The Magic Mountain’.  Great, I thought, the mountain as a metaphor for intellectual study and reflection, right up my street.  But I had bitten off more than I could chew.  It’s tough.  It requires first rate concentration and iron stamina to get through and so far I’ve still a long way to go. 
  I was about half-way through before I had to put it down.  It was too much.  The dense complexity of literature has, I think, reached it’s zenith with this book.  It is one of the hardest books I’ve ever had to read and I’m not even done with it yet.
  This is a promise that I will read it and give it a fair outing in Part Two of this post and who knows maybe it might get better.  In any way I need a mental rest before contemplating picking it up again.
  The story is about Hans Castorp who visits his friend in a santorium before becoming ill himself and having to spend the next seven years there.  Hans is an engineer and a young man who has yet to experience the world and in the santorium he experience’s the philosophy of Herr Settembrini and Frau Chauchat.
  It is confusing and generous in it’s expounding humanism and in a certain sense sensually pleasing.  The concept I love but it is beyond me and as sincere in its searching intellect I am unable to follow it.  So why continue reading it?  I do want to be able to say I read one of the most difficult books in literature and also I do want to see if it gets a bit easier to digest.
  This, I believe, is different to what he usually wrote so I will have to read more of him in order to put him into a suitable context.  

No comments:

Post a Comment